Whilst in the past it has been predicted that printing will become an extinct use within any business, the opposite has happened. If anything, printing is evolving to meet our ever-increasing needs.
Problematic issues with disposal of hardware and consumables have been addressed by the industry manufacturers to ensure that concern over waste disposal is minimised, along with the power used to operate the devices and using paper that is more environmentally friendly.
SO, Mode has reviewed what trends are emerging and how printing needn’t be unsustainable nor environmentally damaging.
- New models: whether they are desktop, mobile, multifunctional devices, are now far more energy-efficient than they ever have been. They are faster and less costly to run. MFD’s (Multifunctional Devices), help businesses reduce waste through monitoring paper usage.
- Packaging: toners are now being packaged in recyclable cardboard, plus manufacturers now have more measures in place to recycle the toners themselves!
- Follow me printing systems: there are various names for this but more and more, these systems are being implemented in business to prevent unused print outs sitting on the photocopier. By using a card that releases the print job when the card is presented at the machine means paper, energy and ink is saved and this is helping businesses to curb their overall environmental impact.
- Devices destruction at end of life: these processes have been dramatically modified and responsible destruction should be a consideration when choosing a supplier to work with.
Having an awareness of your environmental impact will naturally create trust in your customers, therefore it’s essential any business works with a print solutions company that can help you deliver this.
Print has been leading the way in sustainability for some time and as a business there is a whole host of processes that you can use to help your environmental impact:
Review your current business practices: review and measure what your impact is and work out how to solve your issues. Any responsible service provider should help you consider the levels of damage your current equipment causes to the environment and help you resolve these.
- How much paper is wasted?
- How old is your equipment?
- How are your consumables disposed?
- Do you have an MPS solutions already? Is it efficient?
Encourage recycling within your organisation: this should be reviewed across all your processes and a policy created and implemented. This should include:
- Paper recycling
- Consumables recycling
You should check with your service provider, the recycling processes they have in place to make this easier for you.
Consider a multifunctional device: By having a multifunctional device, it means you can copy, scan and print with one device, meaning you can eliminate multiple machines, ensuring less impact on the environment.
All businesses need to strive for greater environmental efficiencies and reducing their impact. There are always opportunities to contribute to this and really in the end but improving your processes and encouraging sustainable practises, there can only be benefits.
Talk to Mode today if you would like advice on any of the issues discussed in this article.