The definition of personal data includes information from which a person could be identified, either directly or indirectly. This can include the following;
- Email address
- Bank details
- Posts on social networking sites
- IP addresses
- Telephone numbers
How Am I Responsible?
Every organisation is responsible for ensuring appropriate security of personal data to help protect against accidental data breaches or attacks:
- Accountability: Organisations must be able to demonstrate that they have implemented appropriate technology and operational safeguards for securing data, in order to become compliant, protecting the rights of people’s personal data.
Why Should I Be Concerned?
The consequences of failing to adhere to the GDPR are significant:
- Up to 4% fine of annual global turnover or 20 million Euros (whichever is greater) for businesses in breach of GDPR.
- The new rules will also be backed up with enhanced enforcement powers.
- The independent authority, ICO (Information Commissioners Office), provides an overview of the GDPR Regulation. Click here to read more.
How Is My Printing and Document Environment at Risk?
Research has shown that of all the printers and multifunctional devices, only 2% are secure and as a result they have been highlighted as a weak spot when it comes to protecting data. These devices are used daily to print and scan all types of personal data and therefore pose a data threat:
- The devices themselves provide hackers easy access to embedded system data and networks.
- Hacked devices could be infected with viruses in the same way as any other computer device.
- Often printed documents containing data are left and not retrieved for long periods of time making them easy to intercept.
- Most environments have few or no restrictions on who can print what, when and where.
- Most print environments are not able to provide accountability or an audit trial of what has been printed and by whom.
- Devices can store a history of all documents that have been printed or scanned during the life time of the machine.
What Can Be Done to Protect my business?
Mode Print Solutions can help to ensure that your document environment is secure or can help to minimise the potential threat of a data breach. Mode Print Solutions will help your business to be compliant by implementing solutions which include:
- Devices protected to prevent any unauthorised attempts to access them by malware to read, write or add to system files and directories.
- Printed documents can be securely held at the device and released when authorised to prevent confidential or sensitive data being left lying around and therefore will only be seen by the intended recipient.
- Rules- based printing can help to prevent unnecessary or unauthorised data being printed.
- Print Audit software provides an audit trail of all documents printed and can identify data breaches.
- Encryption, overwriting and auto-deletion of data will protect against storage of unwanted legacy information and will prevent data interception.